2007Q1 console sales:
- Wii: 1,000,000
- X360: 720,000
- PS3: 500,000
(With DS outselling every system and PS2 outselling X360 and PS3.)
It's nice Sony and Microsoft are getting theirs
. To paraphrase the past few years of trash talk:
- Motion control? That's a gimmick.
- Motion control? That can't fit the paradigm of modern games.
- Motion control? We invented it! We call it Sixaxis.
- The Cell processor basically gives Playstation 3 the power of a supercomputer.
- We're going to change the way people interact with games. X360 will create an environment where gameplay is driven by human energy.
- We're not in competition with Nintendo, they sell childrens' games.
- Playstation 3 will launch this November to compete with X360.
- The next generation doesn't start until we say it does.
- When Playstation 3 launches next Christmas, Halo 3 will be there to steal all the attention.
- The reports that we're implementing the Miis are lies and we will no longer talk to Kotaku... Okay we'll talk to Kotaku again.
That said, I have a fever for a racing game
. And the only prescription is a Gran Turismo or Forza. If there's one group that's as annoying as the trash talking SCEA and X360 brass, it's Polyphony. Extraordinary delays, repeated feature sets, and the greatest sin of all: almost charging for content on a re-release
. They were the best, and then stopped trying. I believe the verb is 'to EA'.
History indicates the second Forza will follow the Halo series and be the same game with more polygons
. It'd be nice to see some innovation, but that's just not going to happen with Microsoft so worried about taking risks with their franchise titles.
Still if the gameplay is solid I'll unshun Microsoft
and pick up their system. The Forza car list
has been released. Ultimately the quality of the list depends on how it's used
. If you have no business buying 90% of the cars because the other 10% blow their class away, your huge list just became very short.
I'm of course saddened that rally hasn't yet been introduced
into the series. But other than that I'm impressed. They have a great sampling
from so many generations of motorsports. The multiplicity of a single model exists in having numerous race versions rather than the ten different consumer models
. The mid-90's lineup is strong, as are the LeMans GT series cars.
Most of all, I'm looking forward to playing with a wheel. It's been all dual shock for me until now. A precision analog wheel and pedal set should make the experience much more enjoyable.
Some highlights of the list...
2002 M3 GTR / 2006 Corvette C6R / 1964 250 GTO / 2003 Mugen S2000 / 1993 XJ-220 / 2005 Exige / 1998 FTO / 1997 GTO / 2002 Skyline Nur / 2007 Peugot 207 / 1995 911 GT2 / 1998 Tommy Kaira Impreza / 1969 2000GT / 1998 VeilSide Supra / 2001 Tuscan R / 2003 R32
Nismo Skyline GTR / Veyron / AMG CL35 / M6 / R10 LMP / R34 / Astra